There’s nothing like the feeling of freshly whitened teeth when you look in the mirror. Of course, you want that bright smile to last as long as possible. Here’s a closer look at how long teeth whitening typically lasts and ways to keep your radiant smile going.
How Long Will Your Teeth Stay White?
Results of teeth whitening can vary for each person. However, you can generally expect to enjoy your bright smile anywhere from six months to three years after whitening – depending on a number of factors.
Some of the variables that may impact your results include:
- Your whitening method: Treatments at the dentist’s office and at-home, including over-the-counter whitening strips, can whiten teeth. However, in-office dental treatments generally use stronger whitening agents, which may result in whiter, longer-lasting results. Here at Smiles of Groton, we use a highly potent whitening gel with a method that prevents saliva from diluting the formula to help achieve optimal results.
- Certain food, drinks, and tobacco: It’s true that teeth can become stained by things like coffee, red wine, berries, and other foods and beverages with dark pigments. Drinking these darker beverages through a straw, and drinking water after eating more pigmented foods, can help. Also, avoid tobacco products like chewing tobacco, cigarettes, and vaping, which can stain teeth.
- Your health, genetics, and oral hygiene: Poor oral hygiene, along with genetics and certain health conditions and medications, may cause tooth staining. Talk with your dentist or doctor about any concerns, and be sure to keep up with daily brushing, flossing, and regular dental appointments.
Will You Need to Whiten Again, and Is It Safe?
Even with the best habits and oral hygiene, most people will need to whiten periodically in order to maintain a bright smile. The good news is that whitening is considered a safe treatment when done correctly.
Be aware, however, that too much whitening – or incorrect use of at-home whitening products – can be harmful to your teeth and gums. This can potentially result in problems such as:
- Damage to the tooth enamel
- Soft-tissue irritation
- Damage to bonding and dental restorations
Talk with your dentist about your options and how to whiten safely. If you decide to use over-the-counter whitening strips, be sure to choose a product that has received the ADA Seal of Acceptance from the American Dental Association®.
How Can We Help You Achieve Whiter Teeth?
At Smiles of Groton, we offer KoR professional teeth whitening to help people achieve the bright smiles they’ve always wanted and maintain the results with periodic treatments. Some of the things that make this approach special are:
- Customized trays (or teeth molds) that seal out saliva, so that the whitening agent is not diluted and can work even better to brighten teeth
- The use of desensitizing solution, which can significantly reduce the sensitivity that commonly occurs while whitening teeth
If your whitening gradually begins to fade, this treatment method has you covered with trays you can keep and re-use for long-lasting maintenance. Plus, you have the added peace of mind of whitening under the professional supervision of a dentist.
Schedule an Appointment for KoR Teeth Whitening
If you’re ready for a brighter smile, let our team at Smiles of Groton provide specialized treatment customized for you! To learn more or to schedule an appointment, contact us at 978-448-5241. Or, request an appointment online.